Saturday, September 26, 2009

Butterflies in the wind

On Friday afternoon, as I was about to get into my car to run a pre-Shabbos errand, I noticed a pair of orange/brown butterflies (not Monarchs) fluttering in the air above my head. It very clearly appeared as though they were playing in the sunlight that was shining through the nearby trees.

I stood there, quite mesmerized by their intricate lighter-than-air dancing - their graceful movements were quite beautiful. I really can't even begin to express in words how awestruck I was at these fragile little creatures floating around one another with expert choreography, almost like lovers (which they may have been - I'm not such an entomologist). The romance between them was almost palpable as they flitted to and fro, one circling the other, then reversing the pattern, ever so delicately.

Of course, the back of my mind began thinking about dating, and the eventual overflowing happiness achieved when one has found the right one. I hope that one day I can have the same boundless enthusiasm and energy for my wife as these two butterflies had for one another.

That's presuming they were more than just friends at any rate, but I've always been interested in being a herpetologist (reptiles and amphibians), rather than studying insects.

I eventually lost sight of the butterflies because they turned toward the sun, and I was too blinded by the brightness of the afternoon blaze to properly follow them. In fact, it almost looked as though they flew up into the light, vanishing with just as much grace as they had appeared.

Mah Rabu Ma'asecha HaShem...

1 comment:

  1. That's a beautiful depiction! May you be blessed to find what you seek.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, and greatly encouraged! I certainly want to foster open discussion, so if you have something to say about anything I've written, don't hesitate! I also greatly enjoy comments/critiques of my stories. But please, no spam.